Near the village of Agios Andrianos lies the Monastery of Agios Dimitrios Karakalas. But there is a source describing the monastery's great wealth in 1696. The moneastery also played an important role during the siege of Nafplio and the Greek Revolution as it was used as an arsenal. The architectural style of the monastery is closer to a fort, built inwardly and emballished with arches. The monastery consists of five churches including Agia Paraskevi, Panagia Partaitisam Agia Irene Chrisovalantou, Agios Ephrem the Syrian and Agios Nektarios.
Located around 44 km. from Tripoli and on the way to Astros you will find the Malevi monastery. It is one of the most famous monasteries in Kynouria and attracts a number of pilgrims. Situated on the slopes of the Mountain Parnon and at a height of 950 m it is surrounded by a forest of a rare and protected kind of cedar tree. The monastery was built in the 14th century and the first reference to it was in 1320 in a gold bullion letter of Andronicus Palaeologus. The monastery was the in the area called Pournaria, just a bit further up from where today monastery is.
The Agia Moni monastery is near the area of Aria a suburb of Nafplio around 3 km northeast. The hurch of the monastery dates back to the 12th century and since 1875 is has been dedicated to Zoodochos Pigi (meaning Lifegiving Spring). It constitutes one of the most important churches of the Middle Byzantine period and has been kept in excellent condition. The church is mainly of architectural interest since the original mural decorations have not been preserved.
Located 1 km from the bay of 'Porto Capers' and on the hill of St. Theodore, densely planted with cedars and is a jewel for the area. Many of pilgrims are attracted to the monastery, thjey arrive here to pray and enjoy the thermal waters that gush from a spring in the yard. The monastery was probably built on the ruins of an ancient temple dedicated to the god Asclepios, while the monastery's is said to have been founded somewhere between the 11th and 14th century but there are no reliable sources. The inside of the church is decorated with beautiful murals dating back to the 16th and 17th century, a work of the Cretan School.
A particular place of interest in the Argolida area is the Avgou Monastery. The site is more than just a religious attraction since the monastery played an important role in historic moments for the nation of Greece. There is also great interest in the enviroment surrounding the monastery since it is built in an imposing location and with wonderfull view of the area and a beautiful canyon. The Avgou Monastery is wdged in the slopes of the Avgo Mountain located in the southeast part of the county cloe to the ravine valley of the Rados river.
Linda Smith from US
The church of St. Theodora located in Vasta Arcadia is a remarkable destination in terms of either religious or naturalistic interest or purely as an excursion. In this church nature has created a miracle where seventeen huge trees have grown in its roof while a spring of fresh water gushes from its foundation. The 17 trees on the roof were attributed to a miracle according to local tradition. The church celebrates on September 11th.
The Monastery of St. Theodosius the New is located 3 km from the village of Panariti and approximately 16 km from Tolo. Founded in 880 A.D. by the then unknown monk and later Saint Theodosius. The monastery is an impressive complex and consists of temples, cells and hostels. The first church, the church of the "Holy Meeting" is dedicated to the meeting of Saint Theodosius and Saint Peter. Tradition says that St. Theodosius welcomed St. Peter while holding his hat full of burning coal, like s censer, without burning.
The Holy Monastery of the Transfiguration, also named Loukous is located near the historical villages of Astros and Kato Doliana. The monastery is a monument of the Byzantine and a historical site. The name Loukous probably derives from the Latin word "Lukus" meaning 'sacred forest' and was given to the monastery when the Franks conquered it and Capuchins monks settled in the area. The Christian history of the monastery begins in the 5th century A.D. when the first Christian church was built. The ruins of the first church were rebuilt in 1117, and the second church was built in of the Transfiguration.